Grilled Steak Salad with Sweet Onions, Green Peppercorn Vinaigrette and Garlic Crostini
- 3 Walla Walla or other sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. minced Napoleon Green Peppercorns in brine
- 4 Tbsp. Napoleon White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/3 cup plus 4 Tbsp. Napoleon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 8 1-inch thick slices good quality baguette
- 3/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Romaine lettuce hearts, separated into leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly smashed with a knife, paper removed
Remove 2 slices of the onion and transfer to a cutting board. Chop the onion slices until they are very finely minced and place in a glass or ceramic dish. Add the 2 teaspoons of the green peppercorns, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Mix well, add the steak and turn to coat on both sides. Let stand while preparing the remainder of the salad or refrigerate and marinate up to 24 hours.
When ready to cook, preheat a grill or broiler. Brush the bread slices with a tablespoon of the olive oil and reserve. Brush the onion slices with another tablespoon of the oil and set aside. In a jar with a tightly fitting lid, combine the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil, the vinegar, the remaining tablespoon of the peppercorns, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
Arrange the romaine leaves on 4 serving plates. Grill or broil the onion slices until slightly softened and browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. Season the steak with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper and grill or broil the steak, about 3-4 minutes per side for rare or 4-5 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest 5 minutes.
While the steak is resting, grill or broil the bread slices until toasted on each side, about 30 seconds a side. Rub the bread liberally with the crushed garlic.
Carve the steak into thin diagonal slices across the grain.
Place the onion slices on the romaine leaves, top with steak slices and arrange the crostini on the side. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve.