Mauny’s Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 lbs. medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/2 lb. Walla Walla onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 large shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1/8 cup Napoleon White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Napoleon White Wine or Sherry Vinegar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup Napoleon Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup tightly packed Italian parsley, finely chopped (about 1/2 medium bunch)
- 2 Tbsp. Napoleon Capers, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, but not falling apart. Allow to drain in a colander in the sink.
While potatoes are cooking chop the onion and reserve.
In the bottom of a bowl large enough to hold the potatoes, place the mustard, shallot, vinegars, salt and pepper. Whisk until well blended, the add oil and continue blending. Add the onions to the vinaigrette. (The vinaigrette will be more acid than the usual dressing for greens, but will be balanced once the potatoes are added.)
Peel the potatoes while still warm, cut into cubes about 1 inches square, then add to the onions in the vinaigrette. Blend with a large spoon to coat all the vegetables with the dressing. Taste for seasoning and adjust with more salt and pepper.
Add chopped parsley and capers, taste again and adjust seasoning. Allow to chill in refrigerator, removing 10 minutes before serving.
Variation: Add 2 to 3 hardcooked eggs, peeled and chopped. Variation 2: Add 1/3 cup Napoleon Manzanilla olives stuffed with anchovies, sliced.