Summer Fruit and Polenta Cake
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1½ cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries or a combnation of each
- 2 cups ½-inch slices freestone peaches or nectarines
- ½ cup polenta or coarsely ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. Napoleon Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter with 3/4 cups of the brown sugar over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is melted and smooth and stir in the berries and peaches. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the polenta, flour, baking powder, and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs and remaining 3/4 cups sugar until light, about 4 minutes. Beat in the olive oil and vanilla. Mix the dry ingredients into the batter, just until combined. Spoon over the fruit and smooth out with a spatula. Bake until the cake springs back when touched, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, then cover with a platter and invert. Serve warm.