Cabernet Pot Roast with Olives and Capers
- 1 - 4 lb. boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Napoleon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into ½ inch wedges
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and cut into ½ inch wedges – fronds reserved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1 - 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 cup low salt beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup Napoleon Pitted Kalamata Olives – drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. Napoleon Capers – rinsed and chopped
Preheat oven to 300°F
Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a heavy Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the roast to the pot and sear well, turning to brown each side, about 15 minutes total. Transfer browned roast to a large plate.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the drippings from the pot, place over medium heat and add the onion and the fennel. Sauté the vegetables until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and sauté for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, one at a time, using your hands to crush each one as it is added. Cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, scraping browned bits up from the bottom as you stir. Add the wine, beef stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes.
Return the roast and any juices that have accumulated to the pot. Cover and place in oven. After 1½ hours, add the olives to the pot and turn roast over. Continue cooking until tender, 1 to 1½ hours longer.
Transfer cooked roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Remove the bay leaf. Tilt pot and spoon excess fat from the juices. Add the capers and bring to a boil, cooking until the liquid is reduced and slightly thickened, 5-7 minutes. Taste the sauce for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
Cut the roast into ½ inch slices and transfer to serving platter. Spoon sauce over and garnish with reserved fennel fronds, if desired.
Approximate Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
Total Fat 49g
Saturated Fat 18g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 9g
Dietary Fiber 2g